Statcato is a free Java software application developed for elementary statistical computations. Its features are tailored for community college statistics students and instructors.
Statcato has two main windows: Log, where outputs of computations are displayed; and Datasheet, which contains sheets of data values that can be edited and manipulated using various utilities provided.
Basic data operations include:
- Sort, rank, standardize data
- Generate patterned data (simple number sequence and arbitrary data sequence)
- Generate random samples (e.g. binomial, uniform, integer, normal distributions)
Probability calculations (probability density, cumulative probability, inverse cumulative probability) are supported for the following distributions:
- Continuous: Normal, Student's t, Chi-square, F, uniform
- Discrete: Binomial, geometric, integer, Poisson
Statcato requires Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.6 or higher. Download the latest version of Java (free).
Follow this link to start using Statcato: Launch Statcato (Java web start).
Open the file Statcato.jnlp with Java Web Start launcher to run Statcato. When the application starts, you will receive warning messages that the digital signature cannot be verified. Continue by choosing the option to allow access. Do not be alarmed: the warnings occur because of the security feature of Java Web Start--Statcato is safe.
You can also download Statcato to your computer instead of launching it from the Web.